Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"A Tiny, Shared Space for Creative Types"

Peekskill, New York is about an hour north of New York City and considered an artist's community. It lies along the Hudson River and many artists go there to work in the spaces created for them specifically. In the New York Times article "A Tiny, Shared Space for Creative Types," we learn about the "Studio Recycled." "It is the latest brainchild of Simon Draper, an artist and the founder of Habitat for Artists, a Peekskill-based organization whose goals include fostering engagement between artists and their communities." The idea behind the organization is to build temporary work spaces for artists. Typically, as seen below, the spaces are in the forms of sheds about 6ft x 6ft x 9ft and are easily constructed as well as deconstructed at the end of the short term use. According to Mr. Draper, the sheds almost act as a part of the creative process that an artist goes through, it is built, used, weathered, pieces from other artists are left behind, things are recycled, and finally it is disassembled in order to be used again. For about $1,500, the space is built over the course of a few days and has been used by about 30 artists so far. 

This article was really interesting to me because I've been an artist for most of my life and there have been so many times where work space was an issue. I live at home with my family and there is only so much extra space that they can give me to work in, so if I had access to a temporary space I think I would benefit personally.


No comments:

Post a Comment