Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Art of Pour Painting

Holton Rower's Website

I'm fascinated by the painting style of Holton Rower, a New York artist. He calls his completed works "Pour" paintings. The way in which he creates is by constructing a 3-dimensional shape, usually square or multiple squares and attaching it directly on top of a canvas or plywood. Then he continuously pours many different colors onto the box in the exact same spot. This creates waves of different colored patterns. They usually come out looking psychedelic and textured and are hung upright on the wall. Fun fact, Rower's grandfather was Alexander Calder, a famous artist known for mobiles and abstract sculptures.





When I watched a video of the process, I was so mesmerized that I decided to try it myself. I assembled a small rounded coffee can to a canvas and began the pour process. I love the freedom of it. You let the paint flow where it wants to go and there's no thought involved. I've been painting for over 10 years and my biggest challenge was always that I put too much thought into what I wanted my result to be. It became frustrating and therefore I began to paint less often. This process really inspires me to start again.

My own pour painting:



Video of the Pour Process

No comments:

Post a Comment